This school year you will be involved in a project that will require you to have an RSS reader. I recommend using Google, but if you have one that you currently use, or have another service in mind, that’s fine. If you have a Yahoo or AOL account then you probably already have a RSS reader there that you can use. However I don’t know how to use those systems, so I won’t be able to offer you much help.
Here are the steps you want to take (based on getting a Google account).
1. Go to Google Reader and sign-up for an account (note that if you already have a GMail account, then you already have Google Reader and don’t need to sign-up again).
2. Watch the short video from Common Craft about Google Reader. If you have more questions go here. There is a ton of good information there.
3. Start searching around the internet for a blog that you can follow. Make sure it is something that is interesting to you. I have about 30 blogs I follow, regarding a variety of topics.
4. Once you have found a blog (or more) that you want to “follow”, click on their RSS button and add them into your Google Reader account.
5. Go to some of your friends blogs and add them to your Google Reader account.
6. Add Lahaise’s Lair to your Google Reader account.
You all now have your very own blog!
I recommend you watch the videos (see tab above) I have made for you. I walk you through the entire set-up from signing in, to changing your theme, to writing a post. It’s important that you take the time to view it so that you don’t “break” anything and lose all the good stuff you are going to post.
BEFORE you start posting anything you MUST get me the permission letter signed by a parent or guardian. In addition you must sign and date the Internet Safety Agreement.
The rules regarding your name, image and moderation of comments will be dictated by whatever your permission slip states.
Theme: I have given you a number of themes. Feel free to use anyone you want (or just stick with the basic). If you don’t like any of them you are too picky. :)
Content: I hope that you will enjoy writing online. I have really had fun with my blog site. If you want to see my example: http://www.paigesprose.com . If you look at my posts you will notice they are based on things that interest me, essentially education and technology. That’s the idea of a blog, you write about what you are interested in. Thus why you are choosing to follow another blog based on your interest. However, always keep the instructions in mind so that you get a good grade!
While you do have a minimum requirement (which we will discuss in class), I hope that you will feel inspired and choose to write more. In other words, have fun with it. It’s pretty exciting when you see people coming to your site everyday and adding you to their rss reader.