Scribe by Samantha 8/17/12
Hello my wonderful classmates!!
Today was a very busy day, so if you were absent… PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION!! I would also like to apologize in advance for the long post i am about to write. But read it all!!! We begun class with people rushing to their seats and settling down. Ms. Lahaise told us that we would not be reading or having a journal so that we could have plenty of time to talk about our blogs. Then our fellow classmate Ricky proceeded to collect any tear-offs (homework). Do not forget that they are due by Tuesday the 21st. Also the student survey needs to be filled out and submitted by 11:59 pm tonight. REMEMBER!!!!!! Ms. Lahaise does NOT except late work, so get it done! If for some reason you have not been paying attention in class and don’t know what i’m talking about… text a friend. We then begun to talk about our blogs and learned how to set them up.
STEP 1: Go to http://www.lahaiseslair.com
STEP 2: To the right it will say create a new account. Click on that.
STEP 3: Then choose your username! It should consist of your first name and the first initial of your last. Put your email and select “Gimme a site” and click NEXT.
** AOL emails may have some trouble creating the blog. If you do not receive a conformation email within five minutes, check your spam mail before emailing Ms. Lahaise. You will be given a temporary password. Don’t worry, you can change it later if you would like.
STEP 4: Create your title!! Please be respectful of your title and be creative! Remember that this is for school and only the english alphabet is acceptable.
STEP 5: Select “allow search engines” and click SING UP.
* If you want to check out a really cool blog go tohttp://lahaiseslair.com/markp
Now to make sure you really understand how to set up your blog, please go and visit the blog instructions that can be found under the “WOW!” tab on the home page.
-HOW TO GET STARTED-
1. Go out on the internet and find something that interests you! Now be careful because there are some limitations.
For example: Say that i want to write about sharks and i find an article about the internal workings. This would not be considered an appropriate blog because i don’t have an opinion to work with. However, you could use what Ms. Lahaise stated, “all sharks should be killed and taken off this planet forever”, because an opinion can be formed.
2. Your classmates are not the only people that can read your blogs, so pick something interesting!
* Ms, Lahaise will only comment on blogs that she finds interesting so keep that in mind.
3. DO NOT forget to cite your source. Forgetting to do so will result in a loss of 50% of your grade. If you can not find it on the internet, contact Ms. Lahaise via email.
4. If you can not think of something to blog about feel free to check out the sites that Ms. Lahaise has generously provided.http://www.diigo.com/list/paigelahaise/weekly-reader
5. NO cussing! Be respectful of your classmates and readers and be smart! Higher level vocabulary is always a plus! If you are unsure if something is appropriate or not please email Ms. Lahaise.
6. Your blog should be about a page long and feel free to write much more!
7. When blogging make sure to support your idea/claim. CLAIM AND PROOF. <– Ms. Lahaise can not stress this enough. If you have an opinion, back it up.
8. You may blog about articles, youtube videos, poems, etc. You may NOT blog about Music, Books, or Movies.
PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU DO YOUR FIRST BLOG!!!!! It is your instruction guide and it will help you tremendously.
-STARTING/SETTING UP YOUR BLOG PAGE-
1. To the left there is a tab that says “dashboard”. Click on it! This will allow you to make any changes necessary to your blog. Only you and Ms. Lahaise have access to this.
2. When doing assignments, Click on “post” and select add new. This is where you will be writing your blogs.
3. After you are satisfied with your blog, click PUBLISH.
** REMEMBER… our first scribe is Due Sep. 3rd.
Some quick hints…
To add a picture, simply click on the camera button and upload it. Make sure you post a link to the picture.
** you may not use one of your own pictures for an assignment.
To do a pretty URL simply highlight the word(s) and click the whole link button and paste the URL. It’s that simple!
Do not worry if you still have questions about the blogs. Ms. Lahaise still has much more to go over with us.
Towards the end of class we went over vocabulary words and definitions. Vocabulary words are to never be posted on the scribe so if you were absent contact a friend. The TEST is on Tuesday the 21st.
That’s all for now! Until next time… 🙂
The next scribe will be Emma F.
If she is absent or feels that she cannot fulfill her duty as scribe, Jeremy will take over.